Friday, March 11, 2011

Warp and Weft


So I think I'm finally done with my fabric paintings! I've struggled with giving the fabric the fluid quality of water.  My original concept was to draw an analogy between nature and humans through the way the fabric, a human made entity, flows like water, and also how the warp and weft of fabric resembles the molecular structure of water. But, since I've had so much trouble making the fabric look as though it flows like water, I've found that humans can never imitate nature perfectly.  Although synthetic, what we make can be beautiful, and problematic.

As an artist, sometimes you just have to be willing to accept that not everything goes according to plan, and sometimes you just have to roll with the punches, and pray that it all works out in the end.  If I have an unlimited amount of time, I could have probably worked into these paintings for months, and still not achieve my desired aesthetic.  Although my end result wasn't what I planned, I am still very happy with my piece.  It was an ambitious undertaking, and in the end it has made me a better painter.

No comments:

Post a Comment