Saturday, February 12, 2011

Painting still lives of white things

My figure painting professor once told me that when she was in a place where she felt lost in her art, she would paint still lives of all white things.  I've been feeling a little bit lost myself, so I decided to give it a try.  It is a lot harder than it sounds: there are so many beautiful unexpected colors created by the white, and a wide range of value. Here's my first two attempts.


I'm not super crazy about the second piece, I could not get the proportions of the kitchen timer right for the life of me! Never the less, painting these studios was very therapeutic.  I painted over a few canvases of paintings which I can't stand, physically white washing the canvas, as well as my negative sentiments about my art.  I was very inspired by the way which objects in a still life can be still, yet imply movement or the passage of time, particularly in the drapery of the fabric. My next part of the series is a large painting of draped white fabric, channeling the work of Claudio Bravo.





I am obsessed with the way which he elegantly handles the medium, and all of the different colors which are in the blue and green fabrics. 

Here's a quick acrylic sketch of my piece so far:

No comments:

Post a Comment